From:
Jim Czarniecki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Aug 1994 23:14:33 CST
On Mon, 8 Aug 1994 23:16:25 -0400,
Robbin Murphy  <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> . . . in the mysterious area of standards. An example: An image
>from the Whitney was put on-line by the San Jose Mercury
>News without any kind of documentation attached to the
>GIF file itself. No one seems to have thought to put anything
>other than the name of the museum on the image. What should
>they have done?
Robbin, At minimum, the curatorial info that goes on a wall label: Artist
w/ dates, nationality/culture/tribe; Title, date; Medium/a, w/ size; Source
and/or Credit. Other info is probably optional if there are clear
instructions on contacting the source, rights reserved, current location
(real and virtual), didactics, etc.
Also of help may be the Getty Art History Information Program (contact
Eleanor E. Fink, fax 310.451.5570.) and the statement (10 pp.) prepared by
Hal Williams, CEO of the J. Paul Getty Trust, for the National Economic
Council titled "The National Information Infrastucture" (12 May 1994),. The
paper is their "statement of the [Trust's] vision of the value, use, and
*needs* [emphasis added] of cultural information in the digital
environment."  I have hard copy, but no scanner; maybe someone on the list
knows how to access it, or a kind soul at GT would load it . . . Best,   JIM

S/RI Cultural Planners       [log in to unmask] (e-mail)
M.J.Czarniecki III           612.224.6954 (voice)
123 Farrington               612.222.1824 (fax)
Saint Paul  MN  USA          55102-2101 (zip)