From:
"Vanderstel, David G" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 May 2004 15:13:24 -0500
I too hold a PhD in history (received in the 1980s) and expected to land on my feet
in a nice liberal arts college in the Midwest.  Most graduate programs at that time
did not provide guidance for what was then considered to be "alternative" careers in
history.  I found myself working as a historian at a living history museum, which I
initially intended to do for only a year or two while searching for that elusive
academic position.  Eight years later, I departed the museum for an urban research
center here at IUPUI in Indianapolis.  I then entered into historical administration
in the mid '90s, becoming executive director of the National Council on Public History.
In leading this organization, I have become more familiar with the trials and tribulations
of fellow PhD historians who are finding the academic job market quite tight and who are
looking to public history positions (i.e. museums, historical societies, national parks,
businesses, etc.) for jobs.

There are many museums and historical institutions who would look favorably on a PhD.  But,
I wholeheartedly agree with Pamela Feltus who noted earlier that you really have to demonstrate
your willingness and ability to work outside the Ivory Tower.  Public historians need to be able
to bridge between the academy and their diverse publics/audiences.  So, if you are applying for
a position in a museum, don't rely on the traditional c.v. with pages of articles, book reviews,
scholarly papers, etc. -- but the practical, applied experience is important.  Have you worked
with curriculum development or teachers training?  worked on an exhibit team?  Those practical
skills are valuable to a museum or other public history institution.

If anyone wishes to discuss opportunities in public history off list, feel free to contact me
directly.

Best wishes and good luck in your search!

David

David G. Vanderstel, Ph.D.
Executive Director
National Council on Public History
c/o Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis
425 University Boulevard - Cavanaugh 327
Indianapolis, Indiana   46202-5140

phone:   317.274.2718
fax:        317.278.5230
email:    [log in to unmask]