From:
John Silva <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 May 1998 08:20:03 +0800
Thank you David.  Those were points I totally agree with.

I run a museum in the Philippines with an extensive selection of
photographs dealing with the revolution against Spain and the Filipino
American War.

I show photographs of the Filipino revolutionary army resplendent in
uniform to show to Filipinos that they were not rag-tag and that they
were part of a republican government, supported by the people and waging
a legitimate war.

As someone who hates wars, I am reluctant to show the more grisly
pictorial aspects of the war, where people are mutilated, or tortured
because both the ultra-nationalists and the rightists use it for their
purposes, the least being for historical truth.

Thanks again for your thoughts.  They were stimulating.

John L. Silva
Executive Director
GBR Museum
Cavite, Philippines