From:
Micki Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 21:46:09 -0800
Frank:
It would ease a lot of furrowed brows if you were to act as an Advisory
member of the second board, rather than a voting member. In terms of roles,
clearly your current board has nothing to say about your activities on your
own time (providing you are not in conflict with the mission of your
organization). However, in all historical societies and museums everywhere--
especially in small communities-- it is the appearance of solidarity,
respect, responsibility, loyalty, etc. that people notice, or rather notice
especially when it appears to be in jeopardy.  I hope you will be able to
convince your museum board that this is a mark of honor, to be asked to join
another board.  Invite your historical museum President to accompany you to
a meeting or event coordinated by the second board, so he or she can answer
with confidence to the rest of the board about your activities and
expectations. Smooth sailing to you on this!

Micki Ryan
Curator, Highline Historical Society
Burien WA