From:
David Beard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2017 10:22:47 -0600
My first job was with the Maryland Historical Society as Curator of Maritime Collections.  The position was endowed as part of the Ratcliffe Collection endowment.  It paid about 50% of my salary and the MHS paid the rest and benefits.  If the endowment is healthy enough, well managed and protected from "raiding," this can be a good way for institutions to fund a position.

Sincerely,

David Beard
Executive Director
USS KIDD Veterans Museum