From:
John R Greenwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 May 2001 08:47:51 +0100
My students comment that when ever they ask about any conservation problem I
reply " it depends".  Well with your helmet " it depends'" Is the dirt part
of the history of the object, have the stains and discoloration come from
the use or from its time in the museum?  There are a lot more dependant
factors.  I would suggest consulting a conservator who has experience in
this type of material.  I realise that a lot of museums do not have ready
access to conservation care and advice, but it comes down to priorities.

I know this does not get your helmet cleaned but best wishes with the
project.

John Greenwood
Programme Leader Access to Conservation
De Montfort University