From:
Tracie Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2007 12:48:29 -0500
Candace,
I'm not sure we were on opposite sides.  I have nothing against
renumbering and have done so, but I worked with one very large (70000
objects) that was so full of problems. At that site we had 7 numbering
systems from various "renumbering projects" all in different states of
completeness with some objects having up to 6 different numbers.  But
the majority of the collection had no associated numbers and re-matching
with the existing records was impossible due to the extremely poor
descriptions (usually one word like plow, rake, etc). In that case, we
decided to renumber and standardize while maintaining the information
associated with the "identified" pieces.  Although administration and
the collections committee agreed with the need and method, they couldn't
understand why it took so long to do. They keep telling me to go faster.
At the same time we were implementing the ARGUS system and trying to
manage the daily activities of the collections.  It proved to be a
nightmare. I did get all the objects marked but never got all the data
entry done.  After 3 years, my position was cut due to state-wide budget
cutbacks.  I recently went back to visit the site and because I hadn't
finished, it's now a bigger mess than before.  They don't have
professional staff working on it at all now.

Since then, I came to an institution that switched to the trinomial
system but maintained their old numbers in 1997.  Although this system
has issues, we have not "re-numbered" the entire collection.  They tried
to renumber and started with the paper records and caused a heck of a
mess before I got here.  So for my money, both options are okay, but
serious consideration of the pros and cons of both sides and your
institutional goals must be addressed before you start.  You don't want
to become the next problem.

Eventually, I would like to renumber and fix our numbering issues here
at the TRHFM, but what we have does work for now.

It's great to hear that a sizeable collection can be successfully
renumbered.  It gives me heart for my future goals here.
Tracie