From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Aug 2005 10:43:22 -0400
Having been through a few hurricanes when I lived on the East coast the
foremost priority now is search and rescue, followed by reestablishment
of infrastructure such as road clearence, water, power, etc. before any
non-residents are allowed into the disaster areas. It is certain that
many structures are unstable and entry may not be allowed where
structural failure is evident.

I heard this morning that almost all of the cell towers and radio
towers are down and that communication is almost entirely limited to
satelite phones. So it may be some time before any word comes out as to
how some of the museums and historic sites fared in the storm.

The Heritage Preservation site may have updates and it certainly has
some very useful resources on disasters. They have been working with
the federal agenicies for years, most notably FEMA, on this issue.

What may be a huge help is for someone to post a listing of recovery
resources in the region where the various museums can go for help - it
really makes a difference when dealing with a recovery firm that has
experience with collections and one that doesn't.
These days most musuems that have an updated disaster plan maintain
such a resource list, but many still do not.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Conservator