From:
Janice Klein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 14:06:12 -0500
I guess the answer here depends on what the job description includes and the
mobility limitations of the individual.   Many museums have "security
guards" whose jobs are more visitor services than actual protection.   These
people may be in a position to say "do not touch", but they don't
necessarily have the kind of training that would allow them to respond
appropriately to vandalism, theft or any other major crime directly (rather
than calling the local police).

I would think that sitting down while monitoring visitor activity would not
be a problem, but a disability that would prevent intercepting or pursuing a
criminal would be.

Of course even visitor services personnel might be expected to take on
"other duties as assigned" (which often includes heavy moving) especially in
those museums with limited staff size.

Hope this helps (I hate those "it depends" answers!)

janice

Janice Klein
Chair, SMAC
Director, Mitchell Museum of the American Indian, Kendall College