From:
Jerrie Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 May 2008 17:21:26 -0700
Natasha,

I decided to go into conservation after several years
as a registrar and assistant to an objects and art
conservator.  I visited a school where the teaching
staff was very pleased to have someone of my
experience but insisted that I take chemistry.   As a
social scientist, I had stayed away from the sciences.
 After a year and 1/2 of chemistry classes, I gave it
up and I'm now a small museum director after several
more years as a contract collection manager.

I know many conservators who are very happy with their
professions.  I'm still not totally convinced I made
the right decision, but I do have a challenging and
satisfying job.  So my advice is if you would like
conservation, take lots of chemistry and follow your
heart.

Good luck,
Jerrie

Jerrie Clarke
Director
Sheldon Museum
Haines, Alaska
sheldonmuseum.org

--- Natasha Shannon <[log in to unmask]>