From:
"Robert A. Baron" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jan 1995 17:42:52 -0500
>Let me [too] reply to Jan's comments about "library-type" research
questions.

As wonderful as libraries and librarians are (some of my best friends are
librarians) they just can't compete with the immediacy and economy of an
on-line query and a speedy and informed answer.  For example:

During a recent discussion on this list I had reason to research the
excavation history of the Temple (Altar) of Zeus at Pergamon.  I have a
fairly extensive library on ancient art -- even taught it many years ago.
But nothing in my possession yielded the answer I sought.  A quick query on
CAAH (the art and architecture list) brought me most of the information I
needed -- condensed into a single paragraph -- and paraphrased in English
from probable German sources.  Also included was a list of sources.

Had I decided to research this question myself I would have been lucky if
any local public library held a useful source.  If the county library were
consulted, I would have had to set aside three or more hours to get there,
to research and to return.  Total out of pocket expenses, probably around
$5.  More than likely I would have had to consult an academic library or
the New York Public Library.  Total time for that: 3/4 of a day, total
cost, skipping lunch, walking to the train station and back, over $20.  In
neither case was the information worth the cost in time and cash.

So I say: Three cheers for any method of obtaining useful information
cheaply.  If it is a library, then horray for the library; if it is some
on-line contrivance, then huzzah for that.  The final hurrah is for all
those wonderful people who take their time to answer these questions,
including the marvelous librarians among them.  I'll conclude by noting
that libraries should be consulted; let's hurry up and get them on line.

Robert A. Baron
Museum Computer Consultant
P.O. Box 93, Larchmont, NY 10538