From:
"Holland, Jane" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Aug 1997 10:14:54 -0400
Melissa Heaver's request comes at an opportune moment, as it reminds me
to do something I have been meaning to do for a long time; that is, to
publish a follow-up to my request for information on the same subject,
with the list of citations that were sent to me.  I wish to extend my
belated but heartfelt thanks to everyone who responded; I must confess
that I was somewhat overwhelmed by the flood of information I received.
Many, many thanks to everyone who took the time to help me.

Jane.
Jane Holland,  Conservation Adviser,
Ministry of Citizenship, Culture and Recreation,
77, Bloor Street West,
2nd Floor,
Toronto, Ontario.
M7A 2R9.

Books and articles:

Breninger, L. and N. Quick. "Towards 2000:  the M.O.V. [Museum of
Victoria] on the Move."  in A.R.C. [Australian Registrar's Committee
newsletter], no. 15 (September, 1995).

Filmer, V.  "Geelong Art Gallery:  on the Move" in A.R.C. [Australian
Registrar's Committee newsletter], no. 13 (March, 1995).

Francell, L.  "Planning for the Move of a Museum Collection".
Mountain-Plains Museum Association Technical Leaflet series, No. 4. Pt.
1&2 (1996).

Geyer, G.H.  "Moving Imagery:  Collections Management during a Museum
Move" in Registrars on Record (AAM, 1988).

Gill, K.R. and M.T.Sarna.  "Moving Large Objects."  Illinois Heritage
Association Technical Insert (Mar-Apr. 1995)

Gurian, E., ed.  Institutional Trauma:  Major Change in Museums and its
Effect on Staff.  (AAM, 1995)

Hanson, G. "Some Aspects of Moving an Anthropological Collection."  ICOM
Preprints, vol 2 (Edinburgh, 1996).

Jessup, W.  "Packing without Crates" in The Museologist, vol. 45, no.
166 (Winter, 83/84).

Kruckeberg, V.  "Moving Museum Collections:  How to Avoid Some of Those
Maalox Moments" in Textile Conservation Newsletter (Fall, 1993).

Mecklenburg, M., ed. Art in Transit:  Studies in the Transport of
Paintings. (National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1991)

O'Rourke, E. "Collections Storage Reorganization." Illinois Heritage
Association Technical Insert (July-Aug. 1995)

Spurgeon, G. "Planning, Preparing, and Executing the National Gallery of
Canada Move." unpub. (1989)

Thorp, V. and C. Wilson.  "Moving the Collections at the Royal British
Columbia Museum" in Preventive Conservation:  Practice, Theory, &
Research (IIC, 1994).

van der Burg, J.  "The Deltaplan, The Way it Worked" ICOM (Edinburgh,
1996) presentation.  published at
http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byauth/vanderburg/delta.html

Most of these authors also have experience in moving collections.  A few
other contacts who were cited as having made presentations at
conferences or who have experience are:

Lori Benson, Collections Manager, Science Museum of Minnesota
Birmingham Museum of Art, Birmingham, AL
Cordelia Rose, Registrar, Cooper-Hewitt Museum of Design
Vanessa Mack (organized move of Powerhouse Museum collections, Sydney,
Australia)