Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 1996 11:41:46 -0600
On Fri, 8 Nov 1996, Helen Glazer wrote:

> Kevin is right that standard "cool white" and even the "warm white"
> fluorescents can drastically affect the perception of color.  As an
> artist as well as a curator, I can attest to the fact that a painting
> created in a studio lit by cool white fluorescents can look dramatically
> different under natural light, with both hue and value (dark/light) being
> affected.  I resolved the problem in my own studio by using daylight
> spectrum fluorescents.  They fit in standard fixtures and come in
> standard lengths.  They're a specialty item, but I did find a supplier in
> my area.  They told me that they sell most of them to printers and other
> manufacturers where color-matching is critical.  They have the advantage
> of being long lasting (mine had a 2 1/2 year guarantee but I've had them
> years longer) and not giving off heat.

When ordering these lights, you might also want to consult with your gift
shop manager and install the same lighting in the store.  This way you
might be able to get better pricing by buying in larger quantities.  But
more importantly, the merchandise you are offering (art prints, posters,
t-shirts, etc.) will look as similar to the originals on display as
possible.

Just my two cents.

Rich Johnson
Director of Marketing