From:
John Martinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:16:31 -0700
Julia,

I totally agree.  Legal ramifications could fall back on the museum, if
a staff
member states something, and the private collector takes the advise,
and it
goes bad.  It is just like a curator saying your artifact and/or work
of
art is worth "X" amount of dollars.  It is a "no-no," as is saying
"that is
a good buy," the piece turns out to be a fake, and they come back
at you or your museum to recover their cost/expenses.

I would stay clear out of providing that advise and/or personal
speculation.

I know some museums have an Appraiser Day or such, where appraisers
come
in and for a small fee, they appraise objects or could provide such
questions.
They are popular (are they stealing the glory of "Antique Road show"!!)
 My!

John
Boise, ID

When I was a curator I was always told that as a curator, my advice to
private collectors should be limited to aesthetic and connoisseurship
matters rather than financial.  So, you can provide background on the
artist and help the collector fine-tune their awareness of style,
technique, etc. and comparing one work to another on those grounds,
but
you cannot advise them on whether the acquisition is a good buy for
the
money.

Julia Muney Moore
Public Art Administrator