From:
Alex Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 1995 09:45:29 -0600
Regarding Karen Anderson's message about customizing off-the-shelf
software, let me add one caveat.  Paradox can indeed get you into trouble
if you don't know what you're doing.  It's a pickup-truck kind of program,
and can do many things well--including some it would be better not to do.
But in fairness the same can be said about Argus and most related
products.  Specialized programs are not bulletproof, and most institutions
find what they actually need after several iterations of development and
customization.  Even then, the needs of the institution tend to be a
moving target.  Whether it's better to spend the equivalent of one year's
salary plus ongoing maintenance charges for an almost turnkey system
(except for customizations) or a week's salary on a general-use relational
database is a tricky call.  If Paradox is a pickup truck, Argus is an
incredibly powerful four-wheel drive.  In the right hands it will take you
almost anywhere.  In the wrong ones it will take you further out in the
boonies before you get stuck.

All that said, I'd like to pose a question about Argus and similar
products (I'm posting it here because it isn't limited to Argus, and the
Argus list isn't exactly a hotbed of messages these days).  Many of the
turnkey systems include dial-in services for technical support.  Basically
the tech folks can call into your Argus server and diagnose problems, make
fixes, and so on.  Very handy and useful, but I'm wondering if there's
a significant security concern in allowing remote system-level access to the
main registration platform.  Is this a concern, or am I just a worrier?

Alex Barker, Chief Curator
Dallas Museum of Natural History