From:
Sasha Krasutskaya <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 2010 17:48:53 -0400
Dear Museum-L Community,
(Please forgive if I make a mistake and inadvertently send spam to
everybody. I am new to this system, and - frankly - I have no idea if
I am sending this email correctly).

I am working on a display project for Rose-Hulman Institute of
Technology. The concept of the display requires the use of old
historical maps, and aerial campus images, architectural drawing(etc).
I am facing the task to photograph or scan these large images, some of
them are about hundred years old and are fragile.

Which is the preferred method to digitize such images? Is
photographing preferred over scanning for conservation reasons?  Are
there services available to help me?

The quality is the priority, because the final digital images will be used for:
- as a part of large graphic displays, designed t and printed on
large-bed ink-jets printers;
- digital archive and future research.

Any input will be very helpful! Thank you very much.

Sasha Krasutskaya
Assistant to Art Curator / collection manger
Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology