From:
Hugh Genoways <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Aug 1998 12:27:52 -0500
>I am surprised that no one has fielded questions about why Museum
>Studies should be relegated to a two-year programme; why there is not a
>programme that addresses all the various aspects of museums
>(conservation, administration, exhibition design,
>architecture/facilities planning, museum education, et al.). The
>conspicious absence of a PhD programme in either Museum Studies or
>Museology alone (not in as a minor area of study in Art History, History
>or Social Anthropology/Archaeology) in the American education system as
>not arisen in this particular discussion.
>
>Education should be enlightening, challenging, comprehensive, and should
>reflect standards of scholarship--and should prepare one for competent
>interaction in the woerkplace. That programmes such as museum
>studies/museology and education are seen as 'less desirable' should be a
>clue to the anti-education or the that education has not the
>significance or other disciplines?
>
>Dave Wells
>Olympia WA

Dear Dave:

I usually avoid these discussions, but you have raised an issue near and
dear to my heart so I will try to answer your questions.

"Why there is not a programme that addresses all the various aspects of
museums (conservation, administration, exhibit design,
architecture/facilities planning, museum education, et al.). "  The answer
to your question is that such programs do exist.  There are not a large
number of them, but I could name 10 without too much problem.  However, no
human being has the time or skills to become an expert in each of these
field so specialization is the result.

There is no Ph.D. program in museum studies in the US for many reasons, but
I will briefly discuss three:

1.  These are expensive programs and not many universities are looking to
start any new programs these days.  Their time is being spent cutting and
reshuffling existing programs.

2.  The knowledge base (existing literature  etc.) in museology may not be
large enough to support an academic doctoral-level program.   Members of
the profession must be doing more publishing and our primary professional
organization (read AAM) should be doing professional publishing as well as
producing a trade magazine.  The AASLH is doing a much better job in this
area.

3.  The Ph. D. is not an appropriate degree for museum studies.  The Ph. D.
is a research degree designed to produce future reseacher period, nothing
else.  This means that we need to create a  new degee, for example, Doctor
of Museum Studies (DMS) or find another appropriate degree.  I believe that
this appropriate degree is the Doctor of Arts (D.A.).  The reason that it
appropriate is that it combines an education in research and professional
preparation (read major internships).  This degree is appropriate because
it presents the opportunity to add to the knowledge base of the profession
as well as giving professional preparation, which many discussions on this
list acknowledge is necessary.

To finish I would like to address briefly another ongoing discussion.  I am
aware that there are weak programs in museum studies out there, but I am
also aware that there are weak students out there.  Education is an active
undertaking requiring a highly motivated teacher and a highly motivated
student.  Education at the graduate level is not spoon feeding.  Students
in these program beside attending required lectures must be attending
appropriate public talks, seminars, and professionals meeting, they should
be reading beyond the required readings, they should be visiting as many
museums as possible, volunteering in museums, and seeking part-time
employment in museums.  Those students doing research should be pushing
their programs to see that the research is published in a timely manner.
If we want to be developing a profession with graduate level programs, we
must start thinking as members of an academic profession rather than as
members of a professional trade.

Sincerely,
Hugh H. Genoways
Chair, Museum Studies Program
University of Nebraska-Lincoln

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hugh H. Genoways

Professor
University of Nebraska State Museum, and
School of Natural Resource Sciences
W436 Nebraska Hall
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Lincoln, NE   68588-0514