From:
Marc A Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Aug 2007 23:27:11 -0400
My 2-c:

I agree with what David said.  The other problem with certain kinds of oils
is that they may not fully oxidize or dry, remaining oily, softening
underlying varnish or paint layers and entrapping dust and dirt, creating a
real mess.  Oils are one of the worst products that can be used for
preservation of painted, finished and decorative surfaces.  I never use
them.  Period.

The other issue is that any coating or treatment will seal in existing dirt
if it is not properly cleaned first.  Then, the dirt is much more difficult
and more expensive to remove in the future.  I never varnish or otherwise
coat a dirty surface.

The treatments you mention, if one ignores their potentially devastating
effect on the paintings, of course do nothing for the losses requiring
inpainting.  Hopefully, anyone that would consider using the aforementioned
products on a painting has enough sense not to attempt inpainting, but I
doubt it.

I know doing nothing is difficult for many people, but doing the wrong thing
is much, much worse than doing nothing.  I would suggest that the money she
would spend for the inappropriate treatment would be better applied for a
partial treatment by a real conservator.  Conservators do not have to do a
complete treatment.  One may be able to stabilize the areas of loss and do a
quick cleaning of dirt, making the paintings look better, without creating
any additional damage now or in the future.

She may be surprised to find that a qualified conservator lives closer than
she thinks, she just doesn't know it.  The American Institute for
Conservation (AIC) in Washington, DC maintains a referral list that anyone
can access.  Otherwise, doing nothing is the best thing she can do.

Marc

American Conservation Consortium, Ltd.
     4 Rockville Road
     Broad Brook, CT 06016
     www.conservator.com
     860-386-6058

*Collections Preservation Consultation
*Conservation Assessments & Surveys
*Low-Tech Environmental Control
*Moisture Management Solutions
*Collections in Historic Structures
*Collections Care Grant Preparation
*Conservation Treatment of:
     Furniture
     Painted Wood
     Horse-Drawn Vehicles
     Architectural Interiors

Marc A. Williams, President
     MS in Art Conservation, Winterthur Museum Program
     Former Chief Wooden Object Conservator, Smithsonian Institution
     Fellow, American Institute for Conservation (AIC)