From:
barbara ware <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Nov 1996 12:04:34 -0800
Hi, while still laboring through my paper, which some of you kindly helped
with on a previous question, I have reached the ultimate question, "What is a
museum?"  My professor tended to think that was a really good question for me
to answer while trying to decide the direction of the modern museum.  What I
was wondering was if any of you located at really old institutions would have
copies of original, or close to original mission statements, along with the
mission statement as it stands today.

I just checked the American Museum of Natural History's home page, and could
not locate what would serve as a mission statement.  I shall be checking
others, but in the meantime, if anyone has an answer for this "off the tops
of their heads" I would be appreciative.:-)  Or an idea of where I might find
the info on my own.

Barbara Ware