From:
"Mary L. Kirby" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Apr 2002 11:45:25 -0500
Dr. Meier:

You may have the critical size already if you can convince your collegues
to a different approach. With joint marketing what you have available
using brochures, travel advertisements and stories, web sites and other
ways of promoting one another, you can convince the traveler to spend
more time in the community.

When I traveled to Europe, I found that even if I walked through the
Louvre or the various other museums for more hours, all I was doing was
mentally checking off the list that I had walked by some famous item.
Unless I was doing research, a day in one spot was almost too much. It
was when I was in the smaller cities and doing multiple things that I
absorbed more. I still treaure my days in Luzern and Interlaken for those
reasons: a slow walk across the Totenbruecke was = to an hour or two in
an art museum, then a visit to the statue of the Lion, then a stop for
lunch, then a visit to.... you get the idea. The next day I might go back
to the cathedral or the museum to see more of what I missed the first
stop. The visit to the Louvre remains a blur of walking by while a
Kadinsky in Oslo, the Vasa in Stockholm, a particular Rembrandt in
Dahlem, the salt mine at the Deutsche Museum in Muenchen leap to the fore
in this trip down memory lane.

In Texas, a state historic house in a small community near San Antonio,
Seguin or Castroville, I forget which, did joint marketing including a
weekend package with bread and breakfast reservations, restaurants, and
historic sites and found all benefited greatly. Maybe that is an idea for
you and your collegues. I hope to do the same with some of my neighbors.

When I first started writing I had not seen Beth Tischler's post about
the arrangements in Philly. I agree that she has a great way to approach
the situation. As you can see the trolly will allow the visitor the
multiple 1 or 2 hour experience I reference.  Big buildings can
intimidate. The summer I wanted to know more about the Smithsonian, I
worked in DC in order to have many opportunities to visit---and that was
back when they only had about six or seven sites to visit.

Those who love big (and that it makes them feel more important) will urge
the greater size. But as Lori Allen pointed out, some found the visitor
found some sizes too big!!! As reflected in the USS Wisconsin account. I
believe that huge museum forgot the needs of the visitor.

Good luck with your project.

Mary Kirby
Historic Upshur Museum
Gilmer, Texas