From:
Tom Vaughan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 15:04:08 +0000
Adrienne's question is good; I sacrificed clarity for brevity.

I have known people who were born Hawaiian, Navajo, Ute,
or Norwegian, but who knew virtually nothing about their culture or
heritage. Others not born into the tradition often really did know
more than these birthright folks. Without exception, the examples
I'm thinking of were not raised within their tradition.

On the other hand, I believe there is a quantity and variety of
knowledge (and understanding) that results from growing up within
a culture or tradition that can never be matched by coursework or
observation from the outside. The student or observer may see
patterns and elements the person within the culture does NOT
see, but the two realms of knowledge will still be significantly
different.

My point is that we need both, and that they can be complementary.

Tom

--
Tom Vaughan    "The Waggin' Tongue"
<[log in to unmask]>   (970) 533-1215