From:
Frank Garvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Dec 1998 13:13:42 -0800
OMNICIRCUS productions presents-
in  CONCERT-
The ALI KHAN Band

Sukhawat Ali Khan and Riffat Salamat are children of the legendary
Classical Indian vocalist Ustad Salamat Ali Khan. Their family represents a
five hundred year lineage of musicians who originally performed at the
court of Akbar the Great.

Sukhawat and Riffat now lead a group of international musicians and their
band ALI KHAN wows audiences with their exotic blend of traditional Sufi
Qawwalli, Ghazal, and folk songs.  Audiences all over California are
listening, dancing and trancing to
this world fusion groove oriented sound.

"ALI KHAN...is a rare, unique and thoroughly delightful experience what
used to be called 'World Music' but now perhaps
should be described as 21st century music.  The great hearted spirit of
this trans-national combo and the thrilling and literally
entrancing voices of Sukhawat and Riffat Ali Khan combine to create an
immediately accessible and ecstatic musical  experience
that arrives just in time to fill the aching void left in so many hearts by
the recent loss of qawwali master and global treasure
Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan.  Thank Allah!"    -  Paul Williams, Crawdaddy
magazine, 9/97

ALI KHAN is pleased to announce a concert at the
OMNICIRCUS performance space.

SATURDAY    JANUARY 9, 1999
8 PM

OMNICIRCUS
550 Natoma Street
San Francisco
(entrance on Russ Street, between 6th and 7th streets and Mission and Howard)

Tickets: sliding scale $8 - $14
INFO: (415) 621-4068

visit our website at
http://www.omnicircus.com

OMNICIRCUS
550 Natoma Street * San Francisco 94103
(entrance on Russ Street, between 6th and 7th streets
and Mission and Howard, door on Russ St. Take Bart to Civic Center,
then walk up 7th to Minna St. and go left 1/2 block to Russ,
or if you're driving, park in the parking lot on Mission
St, between 6th & 7th. Then walk up Mission to 7th St.
Be sure to AVOID 6th St., whether parking or walking. Walk
left on 7th 1/2 block to Minna, left on Minna to Russ St,
right on Russ 50 ft to the OmniCircus at 550 Natoma St.
Our door is on the corner of Russ St. and Natoma.)

The concert starts promptly at 8pm, and we're asking $8- $14 donation,
sliding scale. No one will be turned away for lack of funds. There will be
a party afterwards FOR THOSE ATTENDING THE CONCERT. The party will be a
great opportunity to celebrate the Holidays by hanging out with the ALI
KHAN BAND and the creative
community of the OMNICIRCUS and meet the people responsible for this
incredible space.

Check out the Nov. issue of Metropolitan Magazine for the latest
article on the OmniCircus.

The OMNICIRCUS is a multimedia performance gallery with a permanent
installation of sculpture and paintings by Frank Garvey, and robotics by
Garvey, Aaron Edsinger, Carl Pisaturo and Jeff Weber. The DeusMachina
world-psychedelic music group is in residence at the OMNICIRCUS, as is the
ROBOTIC ENSEMBLE of the OMNICIRCUS, a surrealistic robot red-light district
of performing mechanical actors which includes GOBOY the robot beggar,
PLOWGIRL the robot junkie, and many more escapees from the collective
unconscious.
Visit our website.
http//www.omnicircus.com

OPEN STUDIO - The OMNICIRCUS will be having an open studio the afternoon of
the ALI KHAN concert, Saturday JAN 9, from 12noon to 4pm, with robotic
demonstrations, music and more. Admission to the open house is free.

If you need further information (415) 621-4068
OPEN HOUSE * CONCERT * PARTY
Saturday, Jan 9, OMNICIRCUS open house from 12 noon - 4pm
ALI KHAN CONCERT at 8pm
PARTY afterwards for those attending the concert.
http://www.omnicircus.com

VOLUNTEER at the OMNICIRCUS
Call 415.621.4068 for info

If you are getting this message it's either because you asked to be, or you
or a friend contacted us, or some other list passed our message on, with or
without our knowledge. We are making and supporting progressive art, music
and theater with no money behind us and no publicist, so WE ARE GRATEFUL
for those of you who can pass on the word about our events. YOU DO NOT NEED
OUR PERMISSION TO PASS ON THIS MESSAGE.

Some people don't want to be on our list, and we are happy to take you off,
but WE NEED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS to do so since we don't list names. If you
ARE on OUR list and don't want to be informed about some of the most
important and profound art and music of our time, just send a reply with
the word "moron" and you will be taken off.

In our country we are rarely imprisoned for our ideas, because we're
already imprisoned by our ideas.

Now there's the sound of new drums...its the sound of people rising.
********   WORLD MUSIC for a NEW WORLD   ********

Frank Garvey
OmniCircus
550 Natoma, SF 94103