From:
Kate Long <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2005 08:38:39 -0800
I do not have experience working for SI, but I do have experience
working for the federal government.  The important thing to remember is
that SI is a federal facility first.  When it comes to HR requirements,
its function (as museum)is coincidental.  Applying for government work
is different than applying for non-profit work.  This is not because the
HR people are arbitrarily "all powerful bureaucrats", but because of the
very strict government requirements for fair and impartial hiring
practices.  (Have a little sympathy for these practices... our tax
dollars pay zillions in suits from our deep pockets when favoritism is
proven).

There are a number of publications on "how to apply for a job with the
federal government".  I recommend looking at those.  You will need to
pay particular attention to directly showing that you have the "KSAs",
that's knowledge, skills and abilities, required in the job
announcement.  Also (unfortunately) if the job announcement asks for
PURPLE experience, the HR screener is likely to completely miss all your
good years of LAVENDAR and PLUM experience.  Let me repeat:  The
screener isn't looking for the best candidate.  He/she is looking and
what would provide no controversy is an Equal Employment Opportunity
case.  Once the department sees your application, the lavender and plum
are important (your resume)... but to get past the screeners and to the
department, forget you are applying for a museum job and remember you
are applying for civil service (your SF 171 application form).  The
trick is, your SF 171 and resume must not conflict, but they go to very
different audiences.

Some titles that might help:

Government Job Applications and Federal Resumes: Federal Resumes, KSAs,
Forms 171 and 612, and Postal Applications (Anne McKinney Career Series)

Federal Resume Guidebook: Write a Winning Federal Resume to Get in, Get
Promoted, and Survive in a Government Career!

Other tips... Don't be surprised if it takes 6 months for your
application to be processed.  Do apply again.  And again.  Do send both
a 171 and a resume.

Good luck!
Kate Long
California Science Center
(A State, not Federal facility... lol)

Also remember that once you get the job, you will be a civil servant.
The requirements for your conduct will be much stricter than in the
private non profit world.  But then, so is your job security.