From:
Jerrie Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 06:24:02 GMT
<<Is it demanding too much for me to ask to be paid for my travel time at
the very least?  What do other institutions do to compensate     hourly
employees who may accompany exhibitions?  I just want to have some other
examples so I know I am not being unreasonable.  Thanks for any advice you
can share with me...>>

I've never been in a job (hourly or salaried, in or out of the museum field)
that did not consider travel days for the job as work time.  You should be
paid for the travel days, the working days your are away on the job, and a
per diem.  If someone at the museum made the travel plans, you should be
compensated for the extra day as well, in my opinion.  It sounds like
someone is taking great advantage of having trained person in a lower level
job.

"Demanding" may be a little strong in your approach.  But you are definitely
not being unreasonable telling them what you deserve and expect.

Good luck,

Jerrie

Jerrie Clarke
Curator of Collections