From:
Nicholas Burlakoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Dec 2003 10:51:15 -0500
Q1. Democrats have a history of more funding for arts and humanities. The
main difference, however, usually comes in allocation of available funds
rather than in amounts of overall funding. Neither party has a coherent
policy of what role public arts and humanities play in society and our
country's culture.

Q2. The economy has had marginal effects on federal funding. The economy has
definitely had a negative impact on state, county and local funding.

Q3. Increased in some areas, decreased in others, and remained the same in
the remaining. Legislative grants (state) have decreased significantly.

Q4. Yes.
One of the many major unresolved questions in our society is the
significance, and therefore, the degree of financial support of public
culture. About 45% of the federal budget is spent on financial pass-throughs
(Social Security, Medicare, mortgage support, etc.) and non-military debt
reduction. About 5 % is spent on various programs, while 50% is spent on the
military and military-related expenses. States allocate more funds as a
percentage of their budget to cultural and culture related spending. Local
governments spend the bulk of their income on schools.

Happy New Year.
nburlakoff