From:
"J./B. Moore" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 1996 21:48:28 -0500
This question has come up numerous times before, which leads me to believe
that the person that can write such a program and sell it will make a fortune.

I have investigated a number of solutions and the best one is VISTA.
Unfortunately, it costs $995 per user on a network and $995 on a stand-alone
PC.  There is a Windows version.  Most other systems are designed for
schools and universities, run on minis or VAX systems, and cost thousands
and thousands.

Scheduling at the Art Center is currently done by hand (well, we use a
database program but it does nothing more than organize it neatly).  We have
over 160 classes per term (3 terms per year) in 13 studios plus 3 galleries,
an auditorium, a library, two conference rooms, and an outdoor
portico/garden.  Our Associate Director locks himself in a room for two
weeks three times a year with a giant chart and plans out all the classes.
I schedule the galleries and docents by hand using lists and charts.  Our
Special Events Director schedules everything else using lists and charts.

THIS REALLY STINKS.  Please, someone invent something like VISTA's room
scheduling module but that costs less than $100 and can be networked!

P.S.  I have talked to VISTA about breaking out their docent and room
modules into a separate product for cheaper and they said they are
considering it.  Please, everyone call them and write to them because they
have a guaranteed market for this potential new product!

Julia Muney Moore
Director of Exhibitions and Artist Services
Indianapolis Art Center