From:
Andy Finch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Nov 1998 14:25:08 -0500
At the risk of sounding extremely annoying and having people yell at me,
I recall that my UCLA graduate school stipend, which was considered full
support, was $3,000, which I lived on with a margin to spare.  According
to the Consumer Price Index, that amount adjusted for inflation is the
equivalent of $8,260 today.  I don't advocate a graduate student
lifestyle for real grownups, nor do I posit that a grownup salary ought
to be equivalent to a graduate living stipend -- my point, simply, is
that it's possible to live on very little, even in L.A.  It can even be
fun.

Andy Finch
DEFINITELY NOT AN AAM STAFFER FOR PURPOSES OF THIS MESSAGE