From:
Elizabeth Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 2005 12:19:28 -0400
You're actually touching on two different issues - personal collecting
and providing a monetary value for an object.  I work at a natural
history museum and am an archaeologist.  My professional organizations
as a rule discourage personal collecting (for many reasons I won't go
into here).  As museum professionals we are forbidden to provide a
monetary value for any object;  it was the same way when I worked at the
Smithsonian.  There are conflict of interest issues, tax issues, etc.
which many people on the list will go into great detail about.
Elizabeth Moore