From:
Lucy Sperlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Mar 2005 16:50:27 -0800
Well, after three agreements with this viewpoint, I really have to put in a
somewhat different point of view.

Unless the volunteer is living on the edge financially, I believe it is good
to have an institutional culture of expectation that they are members. A
"Not required but everyone does" kind of thing. If they care enough to
volunteer, they should care enough to support the institution. I'm a
volunteer now (retired museum professional) so I've been on both sides. Yes,
the institution could not do all it does without the volunteer, and the
volunteer does make a huge contribution with the gift of their time, but,
let's face it, it's like a church, it needs financial support to exist
(well, mine does anyway). I'm getting quite a bit of personal satisfaction
from my volunteer work, and I feel like it's the right thing to do to give
money.

I think that there is a definite psychology of 'ownership' that goes with a
monetary contribution, even a small one, that is important to have in a
volunteer for any number of reasons. I also know that there are a lot of
expenses that accrue to having volunteers, everything from insurance to
thank you cards, not to mention staff time to supervise.

All that aside, however, I'd just be kind of ashamed if I wasn't helping the
organization in every way I can.

That said, I now wonder if there is a generational difference to attitudes
in this question?  Is what we have been hearing the voice of the "Me
Generation"?  Or am I just an old do-gooder?   OR is there a difference that
comes with size of institution?  I expect volunteers in smaller museums know
that lack of money makes it difficult for the museum to be as good as it
would wish.  Perhaps in very large museums the perception is different.

Lucy Sperlin