From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 04:11:46 -0700
--- "David E. Haberstich" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> First, let me offer a correction (hope I don't get flamed for it), but the
> exhibition in question is called "Material World", not "Material Matters."
> You can't miss it if you enter American History from Constitution Avenue
> because it takes up the entire center area, encircling the former Foucault
> pendulum area (the pendulum has gone bye-bye--too scientific, I guess).

Oh, I actually like that exhibit as well. It has some neat displays like the
one with the flutes and the steel violin. The NMAH used to be named something
like the National Museum of American History and Technology so the scientific
stuff fits right in.

As for the pendulum, I think that go shortened and moved somewhere else but I
can't remember where. That's another favorite of mine but I am a science
educator. Even as a kid, I was always facinated by how it swung so perfectly
and knocked down the little red pegs.

> Speaking from ignorance again, I'm not sure that there would be any big deal
> about the Smithsonian Castle tour.  The primary thing to see inside the
> Castle is James Smithson's tomb.

If you're there on a weekend, brunch at the Castle is fabulous and the dining
room is worth the entire trip. You get the feeling that you really are in a
Castle.

And David mentioned the Sackler, African Art and Freer. Also way cool museums.
One thing that you shouldn't miss is the Peacock Room in the Freer done by
Whistler I think. He was comissioned to do a room in a guy's house and they got
into a tiff over Whistler adding in numerous gold-leaf peacocks. It's a simply
spectacular room.

Deb