From:
Ellen Z Hazen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 1996 10:09:21 -0400
Another rant: technology martyrs to the Museum World?

> Position: Data Base Coordinator
        <snip>
> Starting Salary: $1207.18/mo. to $1650.99/mo. (dependent on budget/policy)

That's about $14,500 to $20,000 a year...does the museum profession have
ANY idea what experienced (or inexperienced, for that matter) DBAs get in
the "real world?" We all make financial sacrifices to work in museums, but the
expectation that a competent DBA would cut his/her salary by at least 2/3
is unrealistic.  In Boston (near my home), computer programmer trainees
can expect $28,000 to $35,000: that's with no experience.

> Summary of Duties:
        <lots of technology, curatorial duties, too>

> Minimum Requirements:
>
> Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Anthropology, Art History, or
> Museology and two years of directly related expereince.  Directly related
> education and experience may be substituted for each other on a
> year-for-year basis.

Computer Science majors who graduated this June can expect offers of
around $40,000 and up in metropolitan areas; $32,000 and up elsewhere.

> Department Specifications:
>
> REQUIRED: Thorough knowledge of computer databases (particularily Argus,
> Paradox, Dbase).  Experience troubleshooting hardware and software problems.
> DESIRED: Supervisory level experience.  Familiarity with or interest in
> digital image management.

And so on...I know we've talked this talk for years.  I began my working
career in 1968 as a computer programmer and have been involved with
computers and museums for the last 28 years.  I left a position as Curator
of Collections a year ago to work in commercial electronic publishing; now
I'm back doing computer work for museums because I prefer the people and the
environment.  But folks, we're being sold a bill of goods; and, no, I
don't know where we'll get the money we're worth.  Let's keep trying.

Ellen
Ellen Z. Hazen, Special Projects Manager
Kendall Whaling Museum
25 Everett Street                                   phone: (617) 793-0183
P. O. Box 337                                         fax: (617) 793-1084
Sharon, MA 02067 USA                                email: [log in to unmask]