From:
"James S. Martin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 10:25:55 -0500
The decision to remove or cover artifacts before treatment would depend on
the type of fumigant proposed for use and the types of objects and surfaces
within the tented structure.  Another important factor is the experience and
reputation of the firm hired to perform the work -- do they have experience
and a proven track record treating structures that contain historic and
artistic objects?

I am investigating damage that allegedly occurred during application of the
fumigant Vikane (sulfuryl fluoride).  The damage includes brown stains on
objects, walls, and insulation within the tented property at the time of
fumigation.  Vikane has been tested and found safe for use in structures
containing cultural materials, when used according to the manufacturer's
instructions.  However, improper release of the fumigant can result in
formation of a corrosive fog within the tented structure.

General information about pest management can be found on-line at
http://sul2.stanford.edu/bytopic/pest/

James Martin
President and Research Scientist
Orion Analytical, LLC