From:
Amy Bissonette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 13:34:12 -0800
I agree with alot of this...I worked temp and
bartending jobs all through grad school.  During the
year, bartending allowed me to make a lot of cash in a
short time, giving me time to study.  In the summers I
would temp during the day.  I had a good relationship
with a temp agency and was able to call my shots for
the most part.  I also found that they expected the
bare minimum and was able to use the free time to my
advantage, reading up on the lastes museum news and
constantly perusing the job sites for something more
suited to my interests (as I was close to finishing, I
wanted to start feeling out the job market)  I could
also suggest that if you want to take a year or so to
have a real job where you make some money and aquire a
nice savings, that is fine too! Let's face it, we all
have to have somewhere to live and food on the table.
I learned many valuable computer and organizational
skills in the for-profit world that have served me
very well in the non-profit world.  There will always
be skills you can take from one field to another. When
I was interviewing for my first museum job, many
employers were impressed with number of compter
programs I was familiar with. I wasn't always offered
the job, but I found that my varied background gave me
alot to offer.  You can use any skill to your
advatage!  I hope this helps!  Amy

--- "milena placentile <WITH digest>"