From:
"Meredith L. Dunham" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2006 17:45:43 -0500
This question is for Dave Harvey in L.A.

Thank you for your help with the iron cleaning question.  I did end up using mineral spirits and it helped only a little bit.  When you worked with the cast iron stove top figure, did it look gray after you cleaned it and seem somehow, stickier?  Also, I think there is some sort of heavy coating that softens when I use the mineral spirits.  I can leave fingerprints in whatever it is.

I would like to try and identify whatever it is on the metal.  Does it sound like I should just stop and contact a metals conservator?  And this may be a dumb question, can I put renaissance wax over it  (trying to stop the stickiness) or will that make it worse?

Thanks

Meredith

Virginia Beach Historic Houses
3131 Virginia Beach Blvd.