From:
Anna Fariello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 10:28:52 -0400
This entry really peaked my interest...how times have changed.  Museums
have traditionally been a safe haven for artists with copy drawing a part
of many course requirements.  when the Louvre first opened in the 18th
century, it operted on a ten-day revolving calendar.  Only 3 days were set
aside for the public, 2 days were saved for cleaning and staff work, and 5
days were exclusively for artists and copyists.
We've come a long way from there!  I guess I am showing my age when Ithink
of my own college years.  both MOMA and the Met were always filled with
students sitting along the floor with sketchpads.
Anna