Date:
Tue, 17 May 1994 12:01:32 EDT
Terry, from your message I am assuming that the University Foundation is an offi
cial university unit. If that's the case, you may ant to consider transferring a
ny donation that you would like to accession to your collections. Check Marie
Malaro's "Legal Primer for Managing Museum Collections" for other permutations o
f that theme. While my museum has not accepted things specifically from a founda
tion, we have had things come from other departments. We set these things up
 as
irrevocable transfers, with no restrictions to the transfer. This means that if
it becomes necessary to dispose of the donation, we hold all rights of ownership
, and there are no legal problems which can crop up because of title
 questions.
If you are receiving gifts of property, art, etc. accepted by the university on
your behalf (through the foundation), unrestricted acceptance without the promis
e of accession to your collections is a good way to go. That way, you will be
able to dispose of unsuitable items which may have been forced upon your museum
in the interest of "cultivating donors" (but of course you'll want to do that in
 a circumspect manner...) Check with your university's lawyers as well. I'm
sure they can recommend something if you find that none of these suggestions are
 tenable in your situation. Good luck!
Robin Meador-Woodruff
Kelsey Museum of Archaeology
Coordinator of Museum Collections