From:
John Martinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2007 08:48:05 -0700
Monica,

Good points.  Save (something I did not do at at early age --- and I'm a
touch older) is
very important in "any" career path.

In our field, too, when seeking work there are many other fields that are
closely related
to museum work, not to mention positions with local, state, federal and
private agencies
directly related to museums.  One cannot just look at regular museums, and
feel the
field is closed.  There are many large corporations who have archives,
exhibits, collections,
etc.  There is the National Parks, BLM, Forest Service.

But, for the beginner, going to school and would like to get in the field --
volunteer.  Get
some experience behind you.  Take classes, get involved in community
fund-raising groups.
Museums like and need to raise money.  Public relations?  work for a
non-profit doing their
press releases?  Get management teams by directing volunteers.   Graphics --
do some
computer work for non-profits or museums in your community.  They always
need volunteers.

Then, take any class that is closely related to museum work.  Museum work is
not all
about "curators" -- but tourism, recreation, education, outreach, promotion,
preservation,
graphics/communications  --- the field is becoming more diverse.

Myself, I did volunteer work with my employer.  That led me to volunteering
at a local
federal National Historic Site.  Great -- great experience and references!
I organized two
non-profit groups -- with one group now over 200 members and been around
since 1988.
It has raised thousands of dollars for the community.  I served on various
boards --- great
experience!  I put on more than 30/40 community events and fund raising
events.  I
raised money for non-profit groups.  I did public presentations for Niki,
Meir & Franks,
National Park, and served as (volunteer) Public Manager for a National Park
Friends group.
I did living history programs working with major national and community
events.  I volunteered
at a local (state) Historical Society.  I took many classes on writing oral
histories, Native
American Art, Grant Writing, Jewish cultures, Native American culture and
art, proposal
writing, etc.  This I did working for an employer non-related to museum
work.  But, they
wanted our involvement in the community.   I also earned my BS in History
during that
time, and served in the military reserves, getting training on journalism
and photography.

I went from working in the telecommunication field to directing a museum.
Worked as
Asst. Director of a non-profit foundation.  Then Curator of Collections for
a large Living
History Park, taught school (when jobs were slow), and now work for the
federal government
in a museum related job.  I now have a MS in Museology/Museum Studies, plus
30+ hours
in graduate work in public relations.

Course, I am worried about my career -- with the "museum" field very
unstable in enduring
positions for the long term due to budgets, etc.  So, one must always seek
higher levels,
and always train, volunteer, work, get more education.   One must improve as
we age, to
be the best that we can be.

Consequently, what got me into this field  -- and I only had a degree in
History -- was
getting out into the community and volunteering, and getting some GOOD