From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 08:57:30 -0800
We're getting academic here and probably beyond the
scope of the discussion group, but I felt, driving to
work, that the following information bears noting:

1.  Nothing I post here or elsewhere is for profit.
It is strictly for the "educational benefit" of the
discussion and, from where I sit, falls under Fair
Use.

2.  The subject of Fair Use arose in a different forum
inhabited by attorneys who tell me that,  most
probably, the ruling for such kinds of postings would
fall within the Fair Use exception.

3.  The emails provided by newspapers are paid for the
advertisers themselves and not the Tribune per se.  An
article shared with one person hits one potential
client.  An email shared with 4,500 people reaches
4,500 potential clients.

4.  Be that as it may, I wasn't aware that ChiTribune
has revised its policies with respect to listservs.
You cannot post articles from the Washington Post
directly from their email function to discussion
groups.  They preclude it because they won't forward
thereto.  Perhaps the Tribune should consider the same
(real easy to write blocking functions), but that's
not my call.

5.  For the last five years, I've had at least one
foot in the middle of discussion groups related to
disability advocacy and, as such, have had cause to
interact with folks who are either blind or sight
impaired.  Part of my logic in emailing something
directly from the source is so that our friends with
sight impairments can be fully included.

I'm told that operating email equipment is sometimes
tough when you're blind--put a pillowcase over your
head and try this at home.

When they go from an email reader to a link, they have
to change vehicles to do so.  It's not seamless.  It
always seemed to me that it was much kinder--and much
more inclusive--to include the full text and avoid for
them the hassle of having to switch.  It's always been
appreciated by my blind friends/acquaintances, and I
know we have sight impaired folks here on the list.
To me, it's a small sacrifice, in terms of bandwidth,
to ensure that all members of the community are
included.  If we can do it in the galleries, why can't
it be done here in the discussion forum comprised of
peers, students, docents and volunteers, and
afficianados?

6.  With respect to moderation, it's great that
someone was willing to step up to the plate and help
John out and it's appreciated.  I had considered it
myself, but I have my hands full with the other lists
I maintain in support of this community.

This list has maintained a certain flavor for a period
of time largely because John takes a hands' off
approach.  Substituting for John should not entail new
rules in his absence unless and until they're clearly
posted in the archives and applied to all.

7.  I despise censorship of just about anything but
porn and spam in the interest of this discussion.  The
last couple of hand slappings felt like censorship.

8.  It's getting harder and harder to contribute
anything that people find of value.  Value is a purely
subjective thing.  That's why we all have delete keys.
 I simply wish more people would use them and quit
trying to censor others.  Defending the position of
others seems to be what has gotten me in trouble of
late.  It's almost like why bother?  Why bother to
contribute anything if the great email censors here
are going to kabosh discussion?

My examples include the fact that a list member was
repeatedly bashed for posting something under the
cover of anonymity, and now this, attempting to stave
off some heavy political debate by providing
evidence--educational support--that there is a
museums-related reason to discuss the matter.

It's getting awfully annoying around here that someone
whines above or below the scenes about what is of
value--TO THEM--and the next thing you know, we have a
listserv edict.

We have enough concerns about censorship at a National
level (libraries, Homeland Security, peace t-shirts in
open malls, etc.) that we need to be careful we don't
forgo the First Amendment so long that we lose it.
Makes me want to go out and give half my paycheck to
the ACLU.

Yes, I'm complaining.

=====
Indigo Nights

Looking for a Job?  Try Got Links?, Your One-Stop Portal
http://victorian.fortunecity.com/stanmer/414