From:
Boylan P <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 16:17:39 +0000
On Tue, 2 Nov 1999, David R. Bobeck wrote:

> > don't you think it is a little excessive to advertise Board positions?
> >How do you then end up with a board that can actually do its job?
>
> >Claudia
>
>      Apologies but I don't understand this statement. Please explain.

============================
David/Claudia:

This was in response to mine pointing out that in Britain even honorary
positions, such as unpaid Board memberships in publicly aided institutions
(Trustee of the British Museum, Member of the Museums & Galleries
Commission or Arts Council for England), must now be publicly advertised,
and prospective trustees or whatever must now apply in writing on an
official application form saying what skills they can offer etc. etc. (The
government form is even more searching in terms of self-analysis and
perhaps self-criticism than most normal job application forms!).

The answer to Claudia's question is that just two years or so on from the
introduction of this anti-corruption and "transparency" system following
allegations of political bias in public appointments such as these there
are already serious concerns about whether the right sort of people are
coming forward when they are to be subjected to such a process (followed
by formal interviews etc. - all in order to give there time and expertise
for nothing).

Patrick

Museum-L" (without the quotes).