From:
Annette Bethke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 08:51:14 -0500
It was suggested that I send the label writing document we have to the
list. I have enclosed the text in this email. Apologies to those not
interested.

Consider the Audience

The average museum visitor is:
An adult able to read (exception here when involved with school tours).
A reader of labels if they seem interesting.
Pleasant, uncomplaining, and appreciative.
Not very knowledgeable about the subject matter but curious and motivated
to learn.
A lazy reader who will not bother with a label that is very long or
difficult to read.
Five feet six inches tall, someone who may not wear glasses, but probably
does not have perfect vision.
Usually accompanied by someone who is personally close (people tend to
share their museum experiences).

Helpful Hints for Writing

Imagine yourself in the setting where the label will be. Picture the object
or objects. Picture the average visitor encountering the label.
Begin writing with the visual, observable interpretations and facts about
the objects.
Use active verbs, and avoid the verb "to be."
Keep sentences fewer than 25 words long. Vary the length, but keep an
average of 15 words per sentence.
Keep it interesting. Use questions, colloquial expressions, quotations,
comparisons, common experience, specific direction/instruction, and
interesting titles.
Have another person proofread and edit your label writing.

Annette Bethke, Outreach Associate
Texas Historical Commission
History Programs Division
(512) 463-1305