From:
Dirk Hine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 1997 14:37:19 -0500
Ian McGuire wrote:

> I just recently acquired a job as a collections manager in which the
> collection catalog was on MS Access in spreadsheet format

MS Access is a database, not a spreadsheet--are you referring to the
datasheet view for tables in Access?

>  I attempted to read the manuals in an attempt to create a database
> format (supposedly you can do this in Access) and got nowhere.

What do you mean by database format? Do you mean creating forms and
reports which give you pretty wide lattitude in how you present and
organize your data?

> allow me to purchase Claris FilemakerPro. I had a fully functional
> database in about 30 min., something that would have taken a minimum
> of
> about two or three hrs using Access.

Creating a table in Access takes anywhere from a few minutes to
half-an-hour, depending on the complexity of the table. Creating a
relational database with two or more tables can be done in the same
amount of time. The length of time it takes to create your database
depends on the complexity of the database.

> This included creating scripts and
> an export document from Access and importing it into Filemaker.

Creating scripts and macros, as well as other objects in MS Access, is
quite easy with the use of Microsoft's "wizards". I have had no problem
importing and exporting various file formats from other databases
(Paradox), spreadsheets (Excel), and various text formats (RTF, plain
ascii, HTML).

> FM Pro
> is strictly a database program,

So is Access

> no spreadsheets or other multiple
> functions to confuse the issue. The design and layout are object
> oriented (drag and drop)

Including and positioning objects in MS Access is also done through drag
and drop;forms and reports can be quickly developed from templates and
then adjusted as needed.

> so you put things exactly where you want them.
> It can also handle large collections---mine contains almost 20
> thousand
> objects,

I believe Access can handle up to 20,000 records--if I'm wrong, someone
correct me.

> and object and file linking (images and other databases).

Ditto with Access.

It's not that I think MS Access is the world's greatest database
program, but it can be very useful and easy to use, depending on what
you're trying to do. Would I use it for a large, sophisticated
collections management system? No, but then I wouldn't use any desktop
database program for that including Filemaker Pro. Would I use it for
smaller desktop applications? You betcha, and have, including museum
security authorization programs, a fairly complex electronic rolodex
system, a tour reservation system, donor-tracking and even modest
collections management programs. I'm glad you like Filemaker Pro and
that it's provided the solutions you need, however I think you've
presented a lot of innacurate information here about Access.

Dirk Hine
Computer Services Coordinator, Indiana University Art Museum
Bloomington, IN 47405