From:
Gretchen Buggeln <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 1996 13:17:55 -0400
Winterthur Museum announces the new Lois F. McNeil Dissertation Fellowship
for doctoral candidates engaged in research in American decorative
arts/material culture. We will award either one nine-month ($11,500) or
two semester-length ($5,500 each) fellowships.  An additional $1,000 is
available to the recipient(s) for travel and research expenses.  We expect
the fellow(s) to be in residence at Winterthur and to use the term of the
fellowship researching in our library and museum collections.

Winterthur houses a library of half a million imprints, manuscripts,
visual materials, and printed ephemera that support research in the
seventeenth through the early twentieth centuries.  The museum collections
include 89,000 domestic artifacts and art objects made or used in America
prior to 1840.  Research topics might include: history of the family,
domestic life, childhood, consumerism, Shaker history, decorative arts,
pre-industrial crafts, business history, the history of travel and
tourism, and popular memory.

Winterthur houses a lively scholarly community of staff, graduate
students, and researchers and has strong ties to the University of
Delaware.  The Lois F. McNeil Dissertation Fellow(s) will be expected to
participate in academic activities at Winterthur and to make a
contribution to the community in the form of participation in seminars and
attendance at lectures and colloquia.  Housing is available on the
grounds.

Applicants must have completed coursework, passed qualifying
exams, fulfilled language requirements, and have an approved prospectus.
Application deadline is February 1, 1997.  For an application packet,
please write:

Gretchen Buggeln
Office of Advanced Studies
Winterthur Museum