From:
Jim Druzik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Dec 1994 15:02:06 -0800
I posed the query, "What kind of distribution would occur by
 inverting the Galton Quincunx back and forth..."

Most readers of MUSEUM-L yawned and read on.  A few,
actually tried to solve it.  Thus it is my proud responsibility to
 announce the WEENERS of the First Annual Heinrich
Shultz Award.  ( The Shultz Award is named after our
Research Fellow here at the Getty on Sabbathical from
some Max Planck Institute who looked at the problem and
spouted out, like Fermat's last Theorem, "Dat's easy, it's
gitten Flat" then promptly went off to Yosemite.)

First Runner Up is Dave Westneat of Dayton Ohio, who,
 together with a bottle of fine wine, is still trying to figure out
the relationship between the number of iterations and the
height of the reducing curve,

and

the

winner

is...

Bruce Rieber from someplace in Arizona, who calculated
out and illustrated his comments AND taking into
consideration "wall effects", showed how to get a bimodal
distribution.  (I hope Bruce did not use a computer to figure
his probabilities which employs a Pentium processor!)

Winners please send me your snail mail address so that we can send you your prize.