From:
Stevie Engelke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Aug 1996 12:45:24 -0400
Dear fellow museum educators,

Next month, I will be moderating a panel discussion at the Florida
Association of Museums' annual conference.  The title of the session is
"Museum Outreach: Educational Mission or PR Tactic?"

Does this topic strike a cord with any of you?
Are there any issues, experiences, etc. that you've had at your museums
that would be useful for this Florida group to hear about and discuss?

Description of session:  No longer aloof storehouses of our cultural
legacy, museums are now competitors for the public's leisure time and
money, offering everything from singles' nights to on-line services.
While striving for a more central place in the life of an increasingly
diverse community, what educational experiences should we be providing?
Slides and case studies will be a springboard for discussion.

The panel will consist of me, one or two other museum educators, and a
couple of public relations people. A good panel, I think, but I would
like to include as many viewpoints as possible.

Thanks for reading this.  I'm hoping to hear back from lots of you.

Stevie Engelke