From:
Emily Loughnan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 17:12:24 +1300
Hi,
some quick answers from a creator of sites:
why do museums need web-sites?
To communicate with the world (basic info as has been suggested, how to
find, opening hours, shop access, school visits, etc); to extend information
contained in the physical space into a wider community; to add onto the
exhibition experience; and begin dialogue with the community.
> What purpose do they serve for both the museum and visitor?
For the museum it can be used to streamline information, enquiries and
service special visitors like school groups etc; for the visitor they can
provide information to help plan a trip, booking facilities, pre and post
visit information, a place to go to extend on a appetite for knowledge that
is begun in the building.
> How important are web-sites in this current age of computer technology?
It's the first place many people will look to find even basic information.
It associates your "brand" with you area of knowledge, as an authority.
> And what uses are not currently available on the net -are necessary or
would
> be beneficial in the future?
Here's an example of a very successful "learn to sail" site, which could
have been put on the web (and available in the museum) to compliment and
exhibition (in fact it was made to complement an event)
www.telecom.co.nz/tactics. It's a good example of using the web to provide a
hands-on learning environment, giving you a unique experience and connecting
children from all around the world successfully.

I'll stop there, contact me off-line for more!!

Emily
Emily Loughnan
Click Suite
www.clicksuite.co.nz

PO Box 6459
Wellington
New Zealand

ph: +64 4 384 3533

Creators of international award winning interactive media - double winners
of world medals at the New York Festivals New Media competitions - one GOLD
and one Bronze.