From:
Dana Allen-Greil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2006 12:28:37 -0500
Museum colleagues,

Has your museum every accepted an object as a fractional gift?  If so, your
input on the following questions would be greatly appreciated.  Please
respond by Friday, November 17.  (Emailed answers are great; we could also
set up a time to talk on the phone this week if that is better.)

Background: I am a graduate student in the Museum Studies program at George
Washington University.  I'm currently working on a research project dealing
with changes in the law regarding fractional gifts that came about earlier
this summer in the Pension Protection Act of 2006.

Questions:
Your thoughts on the following questions and issues would be greatly
appeciated.  Please reply directly to me (and not to the whole listserv).
1.  Many museum directors (as quoted in newspapers) fear that fractional gifts
will effectively cease because of the deterrents in the new law.  Have you
seen a drop in these type of gifts?  Do you expect to?
2.  Roughly what percentage of gifts to your museum were originallly
fractional gifts?  (For context, what percentage of your new acquisitions come
in through any type of gift as opposed to purchase or other means?)
3.  Are fractional gifts typically valued higher than other types of gifts?
In other words, are the really high-value, "masterwork" type pieces more
likely to come in as fractional gifts as opposed to another type of gift?
4.  Does your museum treat fractional gifts as restricted gifts in terms of
considering an object for acquisition? Are fractional gifts seen in any way as
a burden for your museum?
5.  When thinking of fractional gifts you have received in the past, has your
museum typically waived your right of possession?  Why or why not?
6.  Is your museum joining any efforts to encourage Congress to repeal the new
restrictions on fractional gifts?  Why or why not?

Please be sure to include the name of your museum and your title.

Thank you for your assistance!

Dana Allen-Greil
Project Manager, New Media, National Museum of American History
M.A. Candidate, Museum Studies, George Washington University