From:
Doug Lantry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 May 1998 12:43:02 -0400
One person's gross generalisation is another's interpretive metaphor. I
suppose it's a matter of perspective. I like to think that interpretation
is the soul of material culture analysis, while literal classification is
its body (sorry, more messy metaphors!).

Anyway, I'll concede that uniforms are not literally politics, but when
making intellectual links and connections--interpreting--they can
metaphorically *be* politics. Of course, perhaps I should have made clear
that I'm meaning to manipulate ideas here, not matter.

Uniforms "are" politics like war "is" hell. Not literally true, but true
nonetheless depending on the interpreter. If one chooses to see objects
only literally, that's OK too. It makes filing condition reports a lot
easier! I don't think anyone would file uniform under politics. Still, I
enjoy the activity of thinking about artifacts beyond their literal
fabric, so I think it's OK to make connections like "uniforms are
politics." (another well-known example: "The medium is the message.")

Thus ends my plug for dexterity. Apologies to any offended by my
putting the before cart the horse, unreasonable approach, gross
generalisations, etc.

This is an interesting thread. Thanks all!

-Doug

Doug Lantry
The Ohio Historical Society
Statehouse Education and Visitors Center
Columbus, Ohio