From:
Antony F Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 May 1997 23:12:05 +-100
I am grateful to Patrick Boylan for confirming that the proper course of action
for a museum is not to accept a prospective donation while ownership is
contested in the courts (or is uncertain in any other way).

What can be done if a museum does not follow this proper course of action?

In the Denney case, Mayor Dominique Baudis accepted  the donation on behalf of the city of Toulouse and its museum while knowing that ownership was being contested in the courts. He says that he took the decision to accept  "in full knowledge of the facts."

Supposing a similar situation were to occur elsewhere, what counter pressure, if any, could be brought to bear to get the donation mothballed pending the outcome of litigation on ownership?

For reference: "Lessons from the Denney Collection"
http://museum-security.org/denney/index.htm

Antony Anderson