From:
"P. van Mensch" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 11:19:08 +0200
As far as I know the Heritage Centre concept emerged (at least in the UK)
from civic concern to stimulate interest in architecture and conservation.
As such they were referred to als Architectural Interpretation Centres,
urban studies centres, and/or urban (historic) visitor centres. The first
Heritage Centres were opened in  response to European Architectural Heritage
Year 1975. The Civic Trust defined the heritage centre as "a permanent
exhibition with the evolution of the whole community as its theme. If it has
a bias towards buildings and architecture this is only because these are the
main visible evidence for the community's development. pre-occupations and
aspirations" (1985). A first national survey was published by the Civic
Trust in 1985.This report described 38 heritage centres from the UK. The
term heritage centre is introduced in Canada independently and in a slightly
different meaning. Perhaps our Canadian colleagues can say something on
this.

Peter van Mensch
Reinwardt Academie
Amsterdam