From:
Dave Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Oct 1994 13:01:34 -0700
I have found that many fellowships/grants are exclusive in one way or
another for whatever reasons their boards have determined.  Some like
this NEH/Div Pub Prog/Div Mus Spec Proj, seem a bit too exclusive if they
do not have some means of allowing persons to travel to whatever site is
needed to fulfill the opportunity.

In general, grants/opportunities for undergraduates are nearly
non-existent.  For graduates, the field opens up.  These sorts of filters
are exclusive in themselves and really do not reflect the individual nor
the quality of the project.  Some grants do allow for "professional" to
substitute for the education (indeed English has no word for self-taught
master like the Russian "samarodok").

For some of the research I have done recently, it was private individuals
that provided about 85% of the necessary funds while the airline provided
a 1/3 discount on the ticket.

Is it the resourcefulness of the individual to overcome such financial
obstacles?